Making your own playdough is great fun.
You can make:
Animals: insects, reptiles, dinosaurs and fish.
Plants and Landscapes: trees, rocks, flowers. You could create a complete landscape using an old piece of hardboard as a base.
Planets: the moon or cut out stars and dry them out to use in a collage or as a mobile. (make the holes first before it dries)
People: faces, expressions, crazy hair, aliens
A little more information for parents and carers on ways to enjoy paydough.
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
- 2 cups of cold water
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Food colouring of your choice
- Place all the ingredients into a saucepan and mix thoroughly – ensuring that all the lumps are removed.
- Stir CONTINUOUSLY over a gentle heat.
- When dough starts to come away from the side of the pan, take it off the heat.
- When it is cool enough, take it out of the pan and knead for approximately 3 minutes (you may need a little extra flour to cease the sticking)
- (When it is cool enough, it will begin to feel more like playdough.)
- Why not ‘go crazy’ at this stage and knead in some glitter as well?!!!
It’s a good idea to store your play dough in the fridge to keep it fresh.